News & Blog

For private limited companies and limited liability partnerships there has been a requirement from Companies House to submit an Annual Return listing the company information, officers and shareholders ensuring the data on the public record is up to date.  From 30 June the Annual Return has been replaced by an annual Confirmation Statement.


What is the Confirmation Statement?

Being a direct replacement, the Confirmation Statement continues to provide up to date company information with few changes other than terminology and the name of the form.  The online filing fee also remains the same at £13.  When completing the form, the form is a confirmation of the information already held with Companies House.  However, for the first Confirmation Statement filed, it is a requirement to include a register of People with Significant Control (PSC) within the company.


People with Significant Control

It was introduced from 6 April 2016 for all companies to keep a register of PSC at their registered office or alternative inspection location.  These will be people who:

1.       Hold more than 25% of a company’s shares

2.       Hold more than 25% of a company’s voting rights

3.       Have the right to appoint or remove the majority of directors


A PSC can also be:

1.       An individual who has the right to exercise or actually exercise significant control or influence

2.       An individual with significant control or influence over a trust or firm meeting one of the conditions above


The same personal information is required for PSC as with company directors such as name, date of birth, address etc. in addition to which of the above statements relates to that person.  The PSC register will be available to the public via Companies House.  For all new companies registered on or after 30 June, the PSC register is a requirement on the incorporation application form.


The filing of a Confirmation Statement is one of many services in which Thomas Westcott can assist with.  If you would like any further information to the topic, please do not hesitate to contact your local office.